1.0.8 MP Settings

Topic author
C3PO
Nouvelle Recrue
Nouvelle Recrue

1.0.8 MP Settings

Message par C3PO »

We're getting closer with 1.0.8. Right now the update is at RC6 (we've fixed a few niggles on the way).

One of the main changes in 1.0.8 is the way the code handles connection speeds across the network.

In 1.0.8 clients and the host set their actual upload / download speeds (well, one notch below actually to account for inet issues etc). The code allocates a proportion of the upload from the host to the client according to the client's available download. In other words, it looks at what the download speeds of the clients are and divides up the upload bandwidth accordingly from the host.

Here are a couple of examples:

Example 1:
Client 1 Download: 512
Client 2 Download: 128
Client 1 has 4 times the download capability of Client 2, so ratio between clients is 1:4
Server upload speed is 512
Client 1 gets 4/5 of 512
Client 2 gets 1/5 of 512
So client 1 gets 409 kb/s while client 2 gets 102 kb/s

Example 2:
Client 1 Download: 512
Client 2 Download: 512
Ratio is 1:1
Client 1 gets 256
Client 2 gets 256

The advantage of this is that the client and host gets the data each is capable of processing, rather than the amount they artificially get in all iterations of Falcon to date. A significant step forward in smoothness and efficiency.

Den
Nouvelle Recrue
Nouvelle Recrue

Message par Den »

Still news nothing to say date of exit... :shutup2:

RaZoR31
Pilote Confirmé
Pilote Confirmé

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message par RaZoR31 »

C3PO a écrit :>>>>> 16/09/2006, 01h05
Hi All,

We're currently at the first Release Candidate for 1.0.8. No changelog until release but not long to go now.
C3PO a écrit :>>>>> 10/10/2006, 23h18
We're getting closer with 1.0.8.
not long to go now...
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

T-REX FFW04
Jeune Pilote
Jeune Pilote

Message par T-REX FFW04 »

Hi 3P,

Let's say I'm client 1, my download speed is around 8000. Would I receive 62.5 times more data than client 2... seems a bit strange. Did you check for such limitations ?
Good girls play dress up. Bad girls play Rock'n Roll.
F-16 Flight Hours Patches Download HERE !

Ghostrider
Grand Manitou
Grand Manitou

Message par Ghostrider »

Thx razor for your "great post" :hum:
Moniteur F/A-18C à l AVM http://avm-fr.com/
ImageAmd 3700x - 64 go DDR 4 3200 -Asus Tuf x570 gaming wifi - RTX 4080 16 go - SSD : 1 to NVME ( OS + simus) + 1ssd 500 GO Mx 500 simus + 1 SSD 256 GO (games) + 5 To HD(s)+ TM Warthog + Grip F/A18 - Track IR 5 - Pallo TPR - Deskpit 2 MFD+ICP +Oculus tift

furycane-ffw03
Pilote Confirmé
Pilote Confirmé

Message par furycane-ffw03 »

I'm not used to request at will but this time i have to do so, for C3PO if you read this topic again or to anyone else who know where this request should be :

In France we are under the fire of our providers and since two or three weeks, some of us are submited to very restrictive bandwith limitation on ports above 1024 :busted_re !!!
In other words, i (and one another in my wing) can't play online games anymore, F4AF included :crying:

This problem could be easily resolved if we can set the ports F4AF server and clients use to connect with each other. I don't need a visual interface to do this, a simple text file or even a command line parameter should do the work, but this would be great :sorcerer:

I know it's a little bit too late for 1.08 patch :sweatdrop and you are not very concerned about this, but i think this is not very hard to code (maybe i'm wrong), and this could help a lot ! (I don't know how many of us are concerned).

Neverthless, thank you very much for your work :yes:

Cougar FFW04
Chef de patrouille
Chef de patrouille

Message par Cougar FFW04 »

Hi C3PO,

Thanks to let us know about the forthcoming 1.08 patch.

I am not very familiar with client/server protocoles and I suppose that this upgrade is a step forward with regard to online gameplay. So I have just a couple of practical questions regarding MP.

What's happen when the host player is shoot. Should he stay in the 3D word or may he commits to 2D word (I mean he moves to debrief screen) without MP issue for the remaining pilots ?

As far as I understand, the online ressources are now more equaly distributed among online players (server and clients). What's happen when a client is shoot. Should he stay in the 3D word or may he commits to 2D word without MP issue for the remaining pilots ?

Thanks to let us know what are the good rules.

Any changelog idea yet :detective

Looking forward for a great patch.

FSX@War : THE unofficial TacPack Companion

Topic author
C3PO
Nouvelle Recrue
Nouvelle Recrue

Message par C3PO »

furycane-ffw03 a écrit :I'm not used to request at will but this time i have to do so, for C3PO if you read this topic again or to anyone else who know where this request should be :

In France we are under the fire of our providers and since two or three weeks, some of us are submited to very restrictive bandwith limitation on ports above 1024 :busted_re !!!
In other words, i (and one another in my wing) can't play online games anymore, F4AF included :crying:
That sounds a real pain! Why are they doing that?

Topic author
C3PO
Nouvelle Recrue
Nouvelle Recrue

Message par C3PO »

Cougar FFW04 a écrit :Hi C3PO,

Thanks to let us know about the forthcoming 1.08 patch.

I am not very familiar with client/server protocoles and I suppose that this upgrade is a step forward with regard to online gameplay. So I have just a couple of practical questions regarding MP.

What's happen when the host player is shoot. Should he stay in the 3D word or may he commits to 2D word (I mean he moves to debrief screen) without MP issue for the remaining pilots ?

As far as I understand, the online ressources are now more equaly distributed among online players (server and clients). What's happen when a client is shoot. Should he stay in the 3D word or may he commits to 2D word without MP issue for the remaining pilots ?

Thanks to let us know what are the good rules.

Any changelog idea yet :detective

Looking forward for a great patch.
If the host gets shot, he can go back to the UI and the hosting function will be maintained by the host (in 2d). When a client gets shot, he can exit back to the UI too, no problem.

In other words, all players can enter and exit the 3D world and it shouldn't affect gameplay at all. I've done this many times and haven't noticed an issue.

Cougar FFW04
Chef de patrouille
Chef de patrouille

Message par Cougar FFW04 »

Thanks C3PO :cowboy:

FSX@War : THE unofficial TacPack Companion

hatch
Mécano au sol
Mécano au sol

Message par hatch »

This is a very good point C3PO, no need to worry about speed connection :king:
Thanks for your support :usflag:

furycane-ffw03
Pilote Confirmé
Pilote Confirmé

C3PO a écrit :That sounds a real pain! Why are they doing that?
Hi C3PO, Thx for your interest :cowboy:
They're doing that because of historic issue. In short, France Telecom rent his network where other providers have not deployed their equipements yet. 2 or 3 years ago they settled the price in function of bandwith use which was not so important, all was fine. but now, the prices have not changed (and could not easily) but the bandwith use YES ... almost due to P2P.
So, in order to keep some profit from renting the network to France Telecom, the provider where i subscribed (among others, it's just a matter of time), decided to limit bandwith use on protocol above port number 1024 ... :busted_re
It is recent but very painfull as you said, and despite the fact that rage is rising up from lot of subscribers, we don't really know when situation will become acceptable again :crying: ... if again !

So, if it's EASY for Allied force team to code my request, that should be very helpfull ... and maybe for other reasons too (multiple falcon server on a single OS ? :rolleyes: )

Sparrow
Pilote Confirmé
Pilote Confirmé

Message par Sparrow »

With a server 512kbps upload, do you mean that 256kbps client receive 2 more data than a 128kbps client ?
256kbps client have a big advantage on 128k client no ?.... i don't see the interest to do that... :huh:
Can you tell us more informations about this smart MP engine (especially data object traffic) ? :yes:

Thanks a lot

Topic author
C3PO
Nouvelle Recrue
Nouvelle Recrue

Message par C3PO »

furycane-ffw03 a écrit :Hi C3PO, Thx for your interest :cowboy:
They're doing that because of historic issue. In short, France Telecom rent his network where other providers have not deployed their equipements yet. 2 or 3 years ago they settled the price in function of bandwith use which was not so important, all was fine. but now, the prices have not changed (and could not easily) but the bandwith use YES ... almost due to P2P.
So, in order to keep some profit from renting the network to France Telecom, the provider where i subscribed (among others, it's just a matter of time), decided to limit bandwith use on protocol above port number 1024 ... :busted_re
It is recent but very painfull as you said, and despite the fact that rage is rising up from lot of subscribers, we don't really know when situation will become acceptable again :crying: ... if again !

So, if it's EASY for Allied force team to code my request, that should be very helpfull ... and maybe for other reasons too (multiple falcon server on a single OS ? :rolleyes: )
MMmmm ... looks like France needs a lot more competition on the broadband front.

furycane-ffw03
Pilote Confirmé
Pilote Confirmé

C3PO a écrit :MMmmm ... looks like France needs a lot more competition on the broadband front.
It's on the way, but towns and close suburbs are first deserved ... I live a little bit too far :sad:
Verrouillé

Revenir à « Falcon 4.0 Allied Force »